So there’s actually not a whole lot to say here about Joel.
He made a post that finally, finally did it. It was about how it’s OK to punch Nazis.
I have problems with this:
- Assault is assault end of story.
- The term “Nazi” has become so deluded that anyone (like PewDiePie) can be called one and the people aint joking.
- Which leads to the term being abused and risk people who are just pointing out flaws or contradictions in a movement getting the label and then punched.
- It makes martyrs out of morally reprehensible people.
- A little bit of a call the charge, lead the charge–aka, if you say it’s okay to punch people for saying shit then you accept it happening to you because the attacker felt threatened by what you said.
- That and the tide could very well turn on you one day as you may something that people will deem unacceptable too, so don’t forget that.
- If you need to use your fists as the very first thing to counter words then you are way to immature for activism.
- Assault is assault.
Anyway, I call him out on it. He doesn’t say anything. A friend of his does and is totally okay with this punching people thing and won’t budge. Fine. Joel likes everything he says and doesn’t say a word to me.
(This of course both amuses and upsets me a bit because the last time I challenged him, he utterly failed to back his points, let somebody else do it and did the condescending thing of “Well if you can’t understand it, then maybe you aren’t meant to.”)
So I unfriend him. I’ve had enough of seeing his complete and utterly moronic bullshit on my feed (my favorite was one about how, apparently, because people like me who went to college for a degree in history, we’re brainwashed and don’t know the truth).
But here’s the best part.
He completely removed my boyfriend from all his contacts. FB, chat clients, etc. All of it by the sounds of it.
When I went to Joel’s page to unfriend him I saw some bitter posts about his ex who broke up with him. That was a few years ago, but it around this time of year. So maybe he resents me and the bf for still being together. Or maybe he had removed my bf before this happened.
Could ask a friend and find out but that feels awkward*, vain, and kinda petty.
Then again, so was slicing out my boyfriend despite not even being involved. … And I’ve never said I’m above being petty (I’m making a blog bitching about this, folks).
And I kind of can’t help but wonder if he’s said shit about me. He’s done vaguebooking/passive aggressive posts before multiple times.
TL;DR–I unfriend person for having his head so far up his ass he punishes my boyfriend for my actions.
*I asked. It was awkward.